In over twenty years of practising with major business law firms in Basel and London, Piera has gained a wealth of experience in successfully representing clients in complex, often transnational litigation before state courts, authorities and arbitral tribunals.
Piera regularly defends public and private hospitals, clinics, doctors, midwives and dentists against clinical negligence, medical liability and medical malpractice claims. Piera also defends municipalities and state authorities against state liability in tort and liability for judicial activity claims. Piera also represents law firms against solicitors’ negligence and liability claims.
A former member of the board of directors of a large not-for-profit Swiss Verein, Piera has first-hand experience in governing Swiss Vereine and advises professional practices and professional service firms on governance, structuring and risk management issues.
Piera also regularly advises public transport companies, mobility sharing platforms, cantons and public transport networks, with a special focus on procurement, e-mobility and autonomous vehicles, cooperation and organisational issues.
- 2011 STEP Advanced Certificate in Trust Disputes
- 2003 Master of Laws (LL.M. first class degree), St John's College, University of Cambridge, England
- 2000 Dr. iur. (summa cum laude) University of Basel
- 1999 admitted to the Basel and Swiss bar
- 1997 lic. iur. (summa cum laude) University of Basel
- since 2020 litigation lawyer with BERETTA KUONI
- 2010-2020 head of litigation in a business law firm in Basel and Zurich
- 2011-2017 part-time judge on the Tax Appeals Commission of the Canton of Basel-Stadt
- 2008-2010 litigation lawyer in a City law firm in London, England
- 2005-2008 fellow of the Swiss National Science Foundation working at the Center for European Legal Studies, University of Cambridge (comparative law, construction and interpretation of contracts)
- 2001-2005 part-time lecturer in private law, University of Basel
- 2001-2004 member of the board of directors of a large Swiss Verein (private hospital, medical schools, care home)
- 1999-2008 litigation lawyer in a major business law firm in Basel und Zürich